Sunday, 27 June 2010

Day 12: Hamburgers

Growing up, my parents owned a takeaway shop. Before they bought it, I used to walk home past it everyday. I would buy a bucket of chips with vinegar and tomato sauce. Yum! Sometimes I would buy them on credit. When my parents bought the shop, I was devastated that I would not be able to buy chips without them knowing anymore :( I think my figure forgave them though.



Anyway, due to the fact that it was a family business, I used to work there. I used to make all sorts of takeaway foods, but my husbands favourite is my apparently 'awesome' hamburger.



Seeing as not only he loves them, but so does everyone else in the house, we have them a lot more lately than we used to. Anything to get miss fussy to eat dinner.



This recipe is slightly different from the one we used to make in the shop as I only use 4 star or above mince and we used to mix 5 star with sausage mince for flavour.



I love that you can make different taste combinations for different people. Big Mudpie has a burger with everything, Big Butterfly has extra tomato, Little Butterfly has meat, beetroot and cheese and Little Mudpie has everything cut up in a bowl! It's fantastic that there are no fights!

The recipe I use is very adhoc. But here goes:

 Hamburger Patty Recipe

Ingredients
750g beef mince (4 or 5 star)
1 large brown onion finely sliced
1 stalk of celery finly sliced (optional)
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 tbs tomato sauce
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg, lightly whisked
Salt & ground black pepper, to taste
 
1. Combine all ingredients. Add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too sticky.
 
2. Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions (you can use a 125mls / 1/2 cup measuring cup if you like). Shape each portion with your hands into a patty about: 10cm in diameter and 1.5cm thick.

3. Place the patties onto a tray lined with- greaseproof paper. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to rest. This chilling time helps the patties to hold together when cooked.

4. Cook patties in a little olive oil. 

5. Toast breadrolls with cheese on the top. Add lettuce, tomato and beetroot as well as sauce.

6. Put the patty on, close the lid and away you go! 



Yummo!
 
Leanne xo

No comments:

Post a Comment