Friday, 25 February 2011

College of Law

I am one step closer to becoming a lawyer. Yes I am admitting that out loud. Those apparent blood-sucking semi-lifeforms everyone assumes is trying to squander money from you at every turn.

Yep, I want to be one of those. A lawyer at least, not a blood-sucking semi-lifeform everyone assumes is trying to squander money from you at every turn. I enrolled in College of Law. For those who don't know, this is the part of the study process where we take our theory from our Bachelors Degree and turn it into practical and useable knowledge. We also walk out with a grad diploma of Legal Practice. Gee the letters after my name are growing. (I think one day I would like PhD after it as well....)

So I begin on 28 March, so much for my year 'off' just being with my kids...I just cannot do that, when the option to study is there. I am obsessed, and it has taken me finishing my degree to make me realise I actually love studying law. I love finding out the law, I love the seeking, the interpreting, the misinterpreting, the cases, the findings, the legislation. I just love the law. (Not all laws I agree with - just saying.)

I have to choose electives for this college. I have to choose between Criminal and Family, (others as well, but this is my major problem choice.) Really? Crimal law and Family law? Really? Criminal Law is aborrent to me. Seriously, I couldn't be a defence lawyer, for all the truly innocent people you get to help, how many scumbags would you be helping? To become a prosecutor you need to train as a Police Officer and do a year rotation in a Police Station 'somewhere' in NSW. I have children, I have a life and we are based here. How can I uproot everyone to move into something I am not sure I could even see through? A year as a police officer? I run away from fights and pubs (in general) and I have never even seen a real gun, let alone held one.

Then there is Family Law. My intial reaction was heartache, pain, and a system that (from what I remember - I did Fam Law 6 years ago now) wasn't close to helping parents dealing with a break up and how to help their children in the process. I looked into it. More and more. I couldn't stop. I realised my decision was made. There have been changes, not everything is perfect, but I was amazed. I saw an area of law that is evolving with the times, trying to keep up and help people, and that is why I did this in the first place.

I am looking forward to my journey this year. I know I have a lot to learn. Sure I know about Constitutional Law and I know about how Contracts are written and why we put certain clauses in them, and why we don't and I know a lot of theory. Now I get to put that into a practical aspect and I cannot wait. I am like a little child in a candy store...

Oh and did I mention I get 2 weeks in Sydney at intensive schools, staying with my mum, in Sydney, and my wonderful husband will be staying here and looking after my angels, while I am in Sydney? he he.

Leanne xo

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you my friend ; ) My thoughts are with you and I know you will manage it all like the supermum you are! xo

    ReplyDelete