Wednesday, 8 June 2011

I quit sugar

OK so I am jumping on the bandwagon led by Sarah Wilson and Jo Foster and originating with David Gillespie, I am quitting sugar!

For more info on why fructose is making us fat, hormonal and generally awful, check out their sites.

Why would I give up sugar? That has been the main question asked when I tell people. The answer for me is to achieve a life not controlled by cravings and off the mark hormones. I have Hashimoto's disease, which is an auto-immune disease which attacks my thyriod and tries to kill it, causing it to be underactive. I am happy to say that it hasn't progressed to a point where I need medication yet, and I am doing everything in my power to keep it that way as long as I can.

I also recently discovered (through many nights of being ill) that I have an intolerence to certain preservatives, my worst reaction being to the preservative found in wine (irony- anyone??) and have had to give up alcohol as a result.*

Do you know what, that makes me happy. Yes I said happy. No you didn't read it wrong. I said happy.

I enjoy the fact that I do not look for a wine to deal with my children who are screaming at me, I don't go for chocolate as soon as I feel sad or cranky, I deal with the emotion at the time, then and there, and let me tell you, for me, it has been a huge awakening.

Please don't think I am putting this out there to be judgemental, because I am not, I am just putting it out there because it feels right for me, right now.

Also, I started meditating. I have been reading for years about how amazing meditation is for hormonal people (aka ME) and it was Sarah's blog that really inspired me to go ahead and give it a go. All I can say is wow! I know people do what they want, when they want, so nothing I say here is going to make you do it if you weren't already thinking about it. If you are thinking about it. Do it. It is only 20 minutes a day (or 20 mins twice a day if you so wish) and it is the equivalent of 6 hours sleep.

My life right now is calmer, and more clear than it was 10 days ago. I went the entire day yesterday without yelling at any of my children (and one of them missed the bus home). I am sleeping better, and for someone with an underactive thyriod that has to be a good thing.

I am blogging this because I am proud of myself. I am proud that I quit sugar (so far) and I quit alcohol. They are two very big deals for me.

But I am happier that it is working. I am getting the payoff for doing this I was hoping for and that feels fantastic.

Thanks for listening folks :)

Leanne xo

* I must admit that my beautiful friend Lisa did buy me preservative free wine the other night and it seems to be a keeper.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Leanne
    I just happened across your blog and see that you have quit sugar. Good on you. I have too, almost entirely, thanks to David gillespie. I also quit alcohol, about 3 and a half years ago. As someone who enjoyed a social glass of wine or two, I began a Liver detox (Sandra Cabot) and suddenly alcohol made me ill, so my new champagne is plain mineral water. it looks nice in a wine glass too! I'd love to see how you progress with the sugar quit. I did have a plain scone with a little scrape of jam, and cream today. regards, Jane

    ReplyDelete