This is our year of paying off debt.
We have done very very well until last fortnight.
Then we went on a Lindsey Lohan type binge.... but with money (not drugs) and we almost undid 3 months of saving effort!
And that doesn't include the thermomix I ordered as well....oops.
So some drastic efforts are being made to ensure this kind of thing doesn't set us back again. (The thermomix isn't going back though - just so we are clear.)
We have decided to jump on board with the no spend trend that is circulating...there are a million and one of these blogs, groups, clubs and hashtags going around, but ours is based very much in the reality of having four small humans living with us.
1. If it isn't on the essential list....we don't buy it.
2. If it isn't on the essential list and we really really want it, it goes on the save for list.
3. The save for list is checked and re-checked monthly to ensure our priorities haven't changed.
4. If it isn't on the essential list and we couldn't be bothered saving for it, we don't get it (we probably didn't want it that much anyway).
5. There is one loophole - there is a category on the essential list that states - 'emergency items'. This is there to include shoes that may be worn out, a fridge that is so close to dying it isn't funny, surgery's that may be needed etc.
To keep myself honest I would like to clarify here that emergency items do not include something just because it is on sale...or just because I just put it on the essentials list as we really needed it!
I remember trying to do this once before...it didn't last. I didn't have Daddy Mudpie onside and I didn't take drastic action like I have this time to ensure we only have access to money we earned!
So stay tuned...it wont be easy - but by the end of the year it will be worth it!
What do you do to save money?